Papyrus is an open-source and multi-platform base note manager with a primary focus on social features and privacy. It is developed by Aseman, the same company behind Cutegram , an excellent alternative to Telegram’s desktop client for Linux.
It prides itself on being smart, easy, secure, modern, and different; with a User Interface that is user-friendly and will be intuitive enough for anybody to install the app and get on with creating, syncing, and sharing notes.
Features in Papyrus
- Freeware: Papyrus is free for everyone to download and use.
- Open Source: Contribute to the source code on GitHub .
- Cross-Platform: All Windows, Linux, and Mac users can enjoy the coolness of Papyrus.
- Supports touch mode and fullscreen options.
- Supports note management using labels and categories.
- Contains advanced search options including search papers by location.
- Supports encrypted notes backup to Dropbox.
- Add password protection to specific notes.
- Automatically attach both map and weather details to notes.
- Get status and statistics details in notes.
Aseman is also behind an upcoming open-source Social network project with an emphasis on security called the “Oxygen Project” and they aim to sync Papyrus’s notes using the Oxygen Secure Social network when it is ready – it is only a matter of time.
Learn more about the Oxygen project here .
How to Install Papyrus Notes Manager in Linux
Papyrus Notes Manager can be easily installed on Ubuntu and its derivatives using following PPA.
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:aseman/desktop-apps$ sudo apt-get update$ sudo apt-get install papyrus
There are also binary packages available for all Linux distributions and can be download using the following link.
Download Papyrus for Linux
We have written on more than a handful of note-taking apps and note managers here on FossMint and if for one (weird) reason or the other you haven’t made a selection yet, Papyrus might just be the app you are looking for. Give it a test drive and see if it is worth your while.
In the meantime, don’t forget to share this post and add your comments and suggestions in the discussion section below.